If you know me personally then you know I hardly have my phone on-hand, I only have it make noise for phone calls so I can hear it from a distance. So below I'll list ways you can contact me if you want to let me know something or want to talk to me.
If I don't know you, I won't answer your texts, plain and simple. I already don't have text notifications on, so this is probably the worst way of contacting me. If you call me and I don't recognize the number I most likely won't answer. Leave a voicemail if I don't pickup, if I recognize you then I'll return the call.
A simple email is the easiest way to get my attention. I have my personal email on all my computers so I can respond fairly quick.
The follwing will help you know if I'll respond to your email. As anyone with an email knows, spam and scams are quite common, so I choose to be selective in whom I respond to.
- If I don't personally know you please include a PGP/GPG signature or key somewhere in your email so I can verify who you are, if you're unable do that then at the very least please provide a proper email signature linking to websites and such related to you.
- If you think I do happen to know you, please say where I may know you from, list usernames, chatrooms, etc.
- If you want to be a pen pal please make sure again to follow the above and include PGP/GPG and relevant links.
- If you're wanting to have email conversations, please just link me you Matrix/Riot.im info or your IRC info and we can chat that way.
- If you have questions regarding software I've released or am working on and want to collaborate, then please go ahead just please follow the above.
- If you're trying to sell me a product, don't, I will block you. I already don't shop online that often, so me buying your product most likely will not happen.
- If you're a recruiter, do not email me at this email, you'll get blocked.
- If your email is hard to read, contains pictures, etc, I will most likely not respond. If English is your second language then I understand, but if you just plain don't know how to spell or don't want to put at least some effort into your spelling then I'll put the same amount of effort into my reading (zero to minimal effort).
If you think you've read the above then feel free to email me - email@example.com.
My emails may be marked as spam because I'm not a googlel or MailChimp domain, so please make sure to check your spam inbox the first time I email you back.
I'm almost always on IRC as @materialfuture. If you know me from IRC then you already know the server and my nick on there and can message me.
If you really want to chat with me I'd prefer not to do so over email, as I check that periodically and not very consistently. If I already know you then just email me your Matrix/Riot.im info and I'll add you, if I don't know you then please just send me an email.
You can DM me on Mastodon, the link is in the footer. I'm not always on mastodon, so this will probably be about as effective as email. Similar rules apply to if you're going to DM on mastodon as if you're to email me so please read those rules first.
If you're sending me a meme then I guess it's fine, I'll let it slide if it's funny tbh.
Sure. I'm occasionally on Mumble, so if I know you I'll chat.
If you contact me telling me to use some (probably prorietary) platform to contact you other than the ones listed above then I won't contact you. I list the above because they are freedom respecting platforms that I use to contact people. I provide so many ways for people to contact me, so be realistic when thinking about asking me.
I don't use Discord, Zoom, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp, Line, Slack, Snapchat, Insta, or whatever proprietary crap you're going to ask me to join. If you ask me I will most likely block you. The only times I use these are if work makes me use them, or if I'm setting up a bridge to Matrix so I don't have to log into so many services.
No, I don't want to 1v1 you in Quake III... well... maybe.